Debisms and other popular sayings
Have you heard Deb tell you "wait to be invited" or "Chest High - Let it Fly?" Below are many of her "quotes" and other sayings she has picked up from others that you will undoubtedly hear on the court:
*We play SMARTER, not harder.
* RESPECT THE NET, says Dave Weinbach: The net is a sure point ender - try REALLY hard NOT to go there!
* DOWN THE MIDDLE Solves the Riddle: There are a number of reasons to go down the middle. The net is 2" lower; it can cause confusion (whose ball is it); you have more room for error!
*Practice Does NOT Make Perfect - PERFECT practice make PERFECT!
Non-Volley Zone (The Kitchen):
*NVZ- play CHESS, not checkers.
* NVZ- You want to be ROOM TEMPERATURE BUTTER (soft, smooth, fluid and supple) not melted butter (lazy) nor frozen butter (stiff).
* NVZ - Make your opponent feel AWKWARD and UNCOMFORTABLE. "Scott Moore"
* NVZ - Manipulate them SOFTLY. "Scott Moore"
*GREEN LIGHT - Pull the trigger
YELLOW LIGHT - Proceed with caution. Use as point builder, not point ender.
RED LIGHT - JUST get the ball back, preferably unattackable. Play to hit another ball!
* At the Non Volley Line, Chest High - Let it Fly
* ALL DAY LONG: We love to dink so much that we CAN do it all day long!
* LESS is MORE: Short and simple strokes at the NVZ. No time to get fancy.
* BREATHE: Out when you are hitting the ball. It will help you relax and keep your hands soft at the NVZ.
* HAPPY FEET NOT WELCOME: Move less, not more at the NVZ.
* OWN THE LINE: When you step back off the NVZ, reset back to it if rally is neutral, otherwise, you give up the offense.
* Dinking- must have SOFT HANDS and SLOW paddle head speed.
*Make That Sucker Bounce! - Goal at NVL (Non Volley Line) is to deliver ball to your opponent on the bounce. This helps keep your dinking unattackable. (Simone Jardim)
* Don't start the BATTLE if you can't win the WAR.
*No Man's Land = Land of OPPORTUNITY.
*BLOCK and DROP through the transition zone (Land of Opportunity)
* DON'T CHASE YOUR TRASH. If your transition shot is high and attackable, do NOT follow it in! WAIT TO BE INVITED to the net.
* Return and RUN, Serve and YIELD: Self explanatory.
*Kinetic chain - Don't break it. Our shoulders, hip and ankles stay in alignment. (Sarah Ansboury)
* Paddle UP: Not just UP but OUT IN FRONT!
*Get your LEGS in the game.
* Reset Reset RESET: You have not finished executing your shot until you have reset your body and paddle to your athletic stance.
*PUNCH VOLLEY - Think high-five.
* Target Up: The target on your chest needs to stay UP facing the fence behind your opponents with your knees soft and relaxed.
* BODY CONTROL (Balance) = PADDLE CONTROL = BALL CONTROL.
* CREATE SPACE: You must move so that you can hit EVERY ball from ANYWHERE on the court in FRONT of you.